• SEETECH
    Hello,

I was doing an image based backup of our file server, and received a failure on the backup that the total size limit (of 1 TB) had been exceeded, and I needed to upgrade to the Ultimate Edition. I'm aware of the limitation of the non-ultimate edition, but did not think I was bumping up against it and should not have received this error...

Here's the information on the backups I'm trying to do...

#1 (Success)
    Image Based Backup
    To Microsoft Azure Cool Blob Storage
    Block Level Enabled
    Use Compression
    Use Azure Cool Storage
    C:/ is ~75 GB used of 235 GB, and backed up successfully, with a compressed size of ~29 GB

#2 (Failure, as noted above)
    Image Based Backup
    To Microsoft Azure Cool Blob Storage
    Block Level Enabled
    Use Compression
    Use Azure Cool Storage
    D:/ is ~625 GB used of 2.7 TB total space, and failed to backup with the error noted above

Also, when i look at the backups through Cloudberry, i can see the 29GB C:/ Backup, and it does list a backup of ~460GB of the D:/... But i'm guessing it's incomplete...?

Is there a setting I could change or will I always receive this error, given the size of the drive, even though most of it is empty... (Thinking of splitting the D:/ into two logical drives to get around this limitation... if this is the cause...)

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. Also, please let me know if there's some additional details it would be helpful for me to provide.

Regards,
    SEETECH
  • Matt
    I presume this is the first full backup you're performing. Let me know if that's not the case.
    There are several points to keep in mind here:
    1. The software can't determine the final size of the backups before compression, so you would only be able to keep 1 version of data on storage max, even in compressed state

2. The same can be said when backing up disks that are large in size but are half full, the final size will be smaller than the whole disk, but all of those operations are performed during the backup operation.

3. Currently purging is only possible upon successful full backup, so when you already have something in your bucket it won't be purged before new versions are uploaded.

So the first thing that I can suggest is to split that D drive into 2 logical ones.
  • SEETECH
    Correct, first full backup.

As for 1 version of data, the 1 TB limit is on the cloud storage side, not on the source side?

I was intending to schedule additional full backups every 3 months or so... How would this affect the existing full backup and interim block backups since the last full?
  • SEETECH
    Oh and another followup - should i purge the failed backup before doing another backup, or kickoff the backup again and it should resolve the data...
  • Matt
    Yes, the limit is, of course, applied only to your cloud data.
    Given the size of the data set you will be able to put 1 or 2 incremental backups, but then you will hit 1 TB limit. Full backups won't be uploaded since that would most likely exceed the limit.

If you think that there's something wrong with initial backup set you can safely delete it from the cloud and start from scratch.

In any case, with your current backup size it would be better to just upgrade to the Ultimate version, since that 2.7 TB disk won't stay half-empty forever.
  • SEETECH
    Matt,

Thank you for the information, i appreciate the responses.

Regards,
    SEETECH
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube