• merkl
    I have a glacier vault that I want to get rid of, so i'm using explorer to delete the contents of the vault. The vault has a little over 500,000 files in it. It looks like it's executing 2 delete statements at a time. Is there any way to increase this? At the speed it's currently going it's probably going to take an entire day just to delete the files so i can delete the vault.

Or is there a better way of deleting a vault? Seems pretty stupid we can't just delete it from the aws web interface.
  • David Gugick
    You can check the Threads setting in Options. I'm not sure if that setting affects deletes, but worth a check.
  • merkl
    I don't think I saw a threads setting anywhere. The closest I could find was a bandwidth limit, but that doesn't really apply in this case
  • David Gugick
    Under Options - Connection - Queue Thread Count
  • David Gugick
    As far as your second question (that I missed on initial review) about deleting a Glacier vault: I believe you can only delete a vault if it is empty. S3 Glacier is for archiving and long-term storage. It's not designed for general purpose object storage like S3 Standard and similar storage classes. If your use case is about long-term archival storage, then S3 Glacier is a great option, as it's very low cost for storage and can protect data from accidental deletion with things like Vault Lock. But if your goal is driven by cost alone, you might find other options like Wasabi or Backblaze B2, which offer hot object storage at very low prices, to be better options. Restoring data from S3 Glacier can be expensive, but that's fine for most users who use that object class and need to restore data in an emergency. But if your goal is being able to access objects in real-time without a 3-5 hour standard wait like S3 Glacier or you need to restore frequently, you might find an alternative service better suited to your needs. That may depend on your region as the other services mentioned are in the US and Europe only.
  • merkl
    Hi,

Under options - connection - all i have is number of attempts and time between retry. There's no option for threads.

It's somewhat moot now since it finished deleting everything. Although would still be nice to know how to change that for the future.

As for your suggestions as to which storage to use - glacier was the correct one. This was just an old vault that I no longer needed and hadn't gotten around to deleting it since it's somewhat of a pain to delete a vault. And these are files that if I lost my local copies, I would only need to restore a small number of them quickly - the rest could be restored at the slower/cheaper glacier rate.

thanks
  • David Gugick
    Are you using the Free version of Explorer? If so, that's why as the free version does not include multi-threading. You can try the full version in trial mode to see if it addresses your needs along with other features: https://www.msp360.com/explorer/licensing/

Here's the AWS calculator to estimate storage and retrieval costs: https://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html
  • merkl
    ah yes, it's the free version. That clears that up then ;) It was just a one time thing so I'm good now. Thanks for your help
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment