• Casper
    Hi,

I'm having issues restoring a file from an encrypted image based backup. I can access the File Level Restore dialog using the "Restore Encrypted Files" password just fine. However, after selecting the files to restore and running the job I get a Code:2000 Invalid decryption error. Surely these passwords are the same??

I just updated to 7.0

Thanks
  • David Gugick
    Some terminology clarification: If you are using an image-based backup, then there are no file-level backups performed, as is. The entire image and subsequent incremental backups are encrypted as blocks of data. But you can restore files from image-based backups using the same encryption password used for the image backup.

Clarification questions:
    1. Are you using the new backup file format? Or, is this a pre-7.0 image backup plan that you simply continued to use in the 7.0 version?
    2. Did you initiate the restore from the Backup Storage tab and then right-clicking the image backup and selecting the "File Level Restore" option? If not, and you used a Restore Plan or browsed Backup Storage using Drive Letters instead of the "Image Based" folder, then you are trying to restore files that were backed up using a File-Backup Plan and would need to specify the encryption password for that plan - which may be different than your image backup plan.

Thanks. I'll wait for your response.
  • Casper
    Hi David,
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I right clicked an Image Backup in the Backup Storage tab and selected the "File Level Restore" option. As expected it then asks for the encryption password, accepts it and shows the File Level explorer. I select the file I want restored and the restore job is created. Once I run it, I get the Code 2000 error with an option to enter the correct password. But it doesn't accept it. It's indeed a pre-7.0 image backup that I'm running on v7 (on an Azure cloud). I just installed it today so the existing backups were made with v6.x.
  • David Gugick
    And you are positive you have the correct passkey used for encryption? If so, I will recommend you open a support case using the Tools | Diagnostic toolbar option - do this immediately after trying a restore. Please mention this post in the submission and also make sure to say that I instructed you to open a support case. I will reach out to support from my end.
  • Casper
    Well the passkey it needs to show me the contents of the image on a file level is surely the same passkey that it needs to actually do a file level restore, no? I made a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/MHWkt5vHHsDKGap36
  • David Gugick
    That's correct. They passkey is needed to start the restore.
  • David Gugick
    The Support team is waiting for the ticket. Please open as soon as possible so they can investigate. Thanks.
  • Casper
    Done. Case #: 00044604
  • JamesBond 007
    Is there any update on this Case#? I'm running into nearly the same problem, only, I'm trying to restore a FILE based backup from B2 to a different system. I can see each of the Backup jobs, but entering the correct password keeps getting rejected. I am quite positive that the password is correct! :gasp: :groan: :nerd:

Also, on the original system, it appears that all of the Backups are visible from the same B2 bucket. What gives???!
  • David Gugick
    I would open a Support Case. Are you restoring from the source computer or are you restoring from another PC?
  • JamesBond 007
    Morning David!

I've tried both ...originally, I tried to restore to another PC. Kept getting the password error. Then tried to restore on the original/source PC to a "restore folder" I created.

While I can see the backup jobs (Full + 100 incrementals), I could not restore even from the Full backup to B2 due to the password error. As I always say, "a backup isn't a backup until you've tested the restore functions!" ;)

I did complete another Full Backup to the same B2 bucket this morning. I only selected approx. 20GB out of the original 130GB as a test. Thankfully, I was able to expand the folder view after entering the pwd and could Identity files, etc. I'm now adding the remaining folders via incremental backup.

Previous backup sets aren't needed, so I can just delete them , but I'm VERY curious/concerned why this problem occurred and what could be done about it ...will open a ticket. Thank you for all of your great answers/suggestions!!! I've learned a lot in the last few weeks by reading your responses. ;)
  • David Gugick
    It sounds like you may have an incorrect encryption password, but Support can probably assist - and may be able to see additional details in the log files.
  • JamesBond 007
    David,

it would certainly seem like an incorrect pwd, except for I'm 99.9999% sure it is correct. Symptoms indicate wrong pwd, but my notes are pretty complete, and there are a few folks claiming that their encryption pwds are not working on CBB, which is what caught my attention (including the OP in this thread from a year ago). Casper never updated this thread and no idea what happened with that ticket listed above.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment