• Roget
    I'm helping a client retrieve files from backups to AWS Glacier. Client used to use CB Backup when their environment was on-prem, but have migrated everything to Azure. I tried using CB Explorer Freeware to extract files from Glacier which are missing from Azure, however, it appears their previous admin encrypted the backup. I'm getting "decryption password is incorrect" but I don't see an option to enter the decryption password. Is this option only available with the "Pro" version? Is there another product available to retrieve files? Client will no longer backup to AWS, and will eventually delete all data.
    Thanks in advance!!
  • David Gugick
    I think you need to explain in a little more detail what you're trying to do. Are you looking to restore these files, or you looking to copy the backup files in Glacier for storage somewhere else? Extracting data from Glacier can be expensive, so before you undertake any data egress, you should check the Amazon Glacier calculator to understand what the cost might be.

Usually if a customer is moving to a new cloud it will often be less expensive and less of a hassle to leave the data in the old cloud until it's no longer needed and then just bulk delete it at that time. And start new backups using the new cloud. Glacier storage is relatively inexpensive, and you would even have the option to moving it to Glacier deep archive for even lower cost if you needed to keep it there long-term.

But describe exactly what you're trying to do with the data that's stored in Glacier, and I'll try to assist.
  • Roget
    Thanks for the fast reply.

Extracting data from Glacier to the client's Azure file server. There were archived files that didn't migrate from their on-prem file server to the Azure. Client is aware of the cost but they needed the files for an upcoming project.
  • David Gugick
    A good option might be to restore them, and then back them up to Azure once restored.
  • Roget
    That is what I'm trying to do but its giving me the decryption password is incorrect, and I don't see an option to provide the password
  • David Gugick
    What product was used to back up the files in the first place? I assumed it was our backup product. If that's the case, then you can either restore with the backup product and you'll be prompted for the decryption password during restore plan creation, or you may be able to restore the files using Explorer. If you use Explorer, and the files were encrypted, which it sounds like they were, you'll have to enter the proper encryption password in the options - compression and encryption section - and you'll need the paid version or being trial mode to do this. As you've read earlier in some of the other posts, Explorer will automatically detect that the files were backed up with our backup product, and then try to restore them for you automatically.

But keep in mind that if backup was the product that was originally used and options like block level backup were selected, you will not be able to restore the files with Explorer. That's why I'm recommending that if backup was used, then Backup is used to restore the files as well.
  • Roget
    Thanks for the clarification. I will check with the client, believe they used CloudBerry Backup Ultimate.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment