• Kelly Shepard
    Using Cloudberry Explorer for Azure Blob Storage PRO, how can I create a new folder in a container?
  • David Gugick
    You can either click on any object already in the folder you are looking at and select the New Folder option. Or, if you do not have any objects yet in the folder, use the New Folder toolbar option.
  • Kelly Shepard
    I don't have a new folder option in the list that appears. And, there is no new folder option in the toolbar.
  • David Gugick
    then what I'd do is copy over an empty folder from a local drive and create it that way. I'll have to check with the team to see if the azure explorer works differently than the S3 version I was looking at.
  • Kelly Shepard
    That does not work :-(
  • David Gugick
    So, here's the lowdown with Azure and some other cloud storage providers. In cloud storage, there is no such thing as a folder. Everything is an object stored in a flat file structure. While empty objects can be represented in the user interface as folders, the way to create a folder is to create a file that has a prefix folder name (e.g. mysubfolder\myfile.txt). If that's done, Azure can show it as it's in a folder in a more traditional file system. Or you can copy a file that is already in a folder from a local drive. If you really need to create the "folder" in advance, you need to place a small file like a temp.txt a few bytes large in the local folder and then copy over the folder. Once the file is copied, you'll see the folder and the file - which you can delete and leave the "folder" object in place.

I'll have to ask the team why copying an empty folder doesn't create the necessary object in Azure, but my guess is it's a limitation on the Azure side.
  • David Gugick
    There's already a requirement in the system to be able to copy empty folders and / or create new ones in Azure. I've added your request to the requirement. Thanks.
  • Kelly Shepard
    Sounds good. Thanks so much for looking into this for me
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube