• Espen Wisur
    Hi!

I'm new to CBB and I'm trying to set up a backup routine with CBB that syncs with the data already stored in our S3, where we have used a AWS Snowball to transfer the initial upload of 88TB..

Is it possible to set up backup routines using custom paths for the initial sync up? Then build a backup plan of all changes made moving forward?

I dunno if this can be done with CBB but was told from AWS that this shouldn't be any issue using most clients..

Cheers from Espen, And thank you for your time :)
  • David Gugick
    what's the format of the data that you moved to S3 through Snowball? Did you use the Snowball device to run a backup using our product and then transfer that backup data via the Snowball device to the S3 bucket? Or is it just raw data?
  • Espen Wisur
    It was a copy with the raw data through the Snowball using their system, So might need to do a "upload" with your product so it can map out everything, then start the backup procedure?
  • David Gugick
    I guess I’m not exactly clear on what you’re trying to do. Have you used snowball to move the Raw data to S3 because you need to access the data with other applications in S3? Normally, if you were using snowball with our products you would run a backup on your local data to the snowball device, send the snowball device back to Amazon, and have them load the data into the S3 bucket. That data is backup data, not raw data, and at that point you would synchronize the repository with the data in S3 in order to seed the initial back up. But you have raw data in S3, and I need to understand exactly what you’re trying to do.
  • Espen Wisur
    We have raw data on our S3 uploaded with the terminal functions as stated on the AWS's site. And we are looking for a software that can see what's already stored in the S3, use that as a baseline, and do backups of the changes moving forward. As it's nearly 90TB, and it will take an enourmous amount of time to send it up AGAIN..
  • David Gugick
    Unfortunately, based on your description, I think you did it wrong. Please review this knowledge base article that describes the process and how to use snowball with our software https://help.msp360.com/cloudberry-backup/miscellaneous/seeding-data/seeding-data-with-aws-snowball-edge

What you might be able to do is to set the backup to ignore files that are older than the date you copied everything to Snowball, so only new files and updates to existing files actually get backed up, and then leave the S3 bucket that was loaded from snowball alone. But that's going to make backup management pretty difficult. Please provide additional details after you review the article I posted and we'll see if we can figure out how best to proceed.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment