• Novus Computers
    Using MBS with B2 for file-level backups (encrypted/compressed). I've noticed when looking at the storage reports in B2 and MBS there is a consistent storage discrepancy between the reports. Specifically, B2 reports almost exactly 7% more storage usage than MBS across every single backup. If MBS reports a backup is 100GB, B2 will show ~107GB storage used. If MBS reports 1TB, B2 reports ~1070GB.

There are no "unfinished large files" in B2 (those are cleared regularly) so that's not the cause of it. It's not a showstopping bug or glitch either, just a curiosity as to why it does this. I have several backups across multiple buckets/accounts and they are all this way. Any particular reason behind this?
  • Matt
    Is it strictly for storage reports or backup notifications? Can you provide the screenshot? In certain sections of the portal we provide approximated info regarding storage space used.
  • Novus Computers
    It's for everything as far as I can tell. MBS' numbers all align very closely with one another (to be expected due to the approximation you mentioned) but all of those numbers are almost always ~7% less than what the storage in B2 shows. I can run consistency checks, same thing. Storage reports, same thing. Looking at the capacity report, same thing. I'll try and grab some screenshots later today but again, from what I can tell, the discrepancy is present everywhere.
  • Novus Computers
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to this. I've grabbed some screenshots from a couple of accounts (all of them are like this but for space I've just included a couple).

The first shot of each group you can see what the storage is in MBS and the second is in the Backblaze control panel and is what is actually getting billed out each month. It's consistently around a 7% difference give or take maybe .1% and it seems that no matter what backup options I apply it's always that 7% difference so I'm not sure where the discrepancy is at.

tdwkjv9s661eyi0k.png
    up9vqscieb7aaa16.png

hgkbclx3entbvpx6.png
    2wbsdhpw09tyy6p9.png
  • Matt
    Thanks for providing that info. According to our devs a couple of other users encountered this issue. The problem is still under investigation.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment