• John Reveley
    I use both Cloud and Local Backups. My Cloud backup is an advanced mode backup with encryption and compression. I use a recurring schedule with predefined templates (Incremental run weekly and block level run daily). I use the default retention policy (keep 3 versions). Running this type of backup, should I be running periodic full backups?? If so, I don't see an option to do that in the wizard.

I have my local backup set up the same way (but without encryption) but I want to switch to a simple mode so that I can just go into the backup files and pull up a file without using restore. Can I just change using the edit plan or do I need to start from scratch (delete old plan and start a new one)? If I edit the plan, it only gives me the option to do incremental backups (which I would do daily). Again, I do not see an option to do periodic full backups if I pursue this route. I bring this up because I see in the MSP360 website that they recommend doing periodic full backups if using incremental backups. Thanks for any help!
  • Alexander Negrash

My Cloud backup is an advanced mode backup with encryption and compression.John Reveley
    It appears you're using the Legacy backup format. Please be aware that it's in low-maintenance mode, and we recommend using the New Backup Format

I use a recurring schedule with predefined templates (Incremental run weekly and block level run daily). I use the default retention policy (keep 3 versions). Running this type of backup, should I be running periodic full backups?? If so, I don't see an option to do that in the wizard.John Reveley
    I assume you are configuring a File Backup plan. In the legacy format, only the initial backup is a full backup for file-level backup. Scheduled periodic full backups are not supported in legacy mode.

but I want to switch to a simple mode so that I can just go into the backup files and pull up a file without using restore. Can I just change using the edit plan or do I need to start from scratch (delete old plan and start a new one)?John Reveley
    You can change it, but I would advise creating a new one from scratch. You can keep the old one, though, if you need access to old files or file versions.

Again, I do not see an option to do periodic full backups if I pursue this route. I bring this up because I see in the MSP360 website that they recommend doing periodic full backups if using incremental backups.John Reveley
    This is recommended for image-based backup in Legacy mode and is a requirement in the New Backup Format.
  • John Reveley
    Thank you for your response! I can start fresh with my local backups and change them over to the New Backup Format. Using the New Format, I would set up incremental backups (daily) and then a full backup at a specified interval (Default is monthly). What is a reasonable interval for a full backup and a, Keep Backup For, time period without enabling GFS? To help answer this, a full backup uses just slightly more than half of the storage space for one of my local backups and about 1/4 of the storage space on the other local backup (I utilize two local backups plus one cloud backup).

The cloud backup (I use Google Cloud Platform) is done using legacy mode because I set it up many years ago before the new backup format was available. Can this be changed over without rewriting the whole backup which would take a long time to upload and additional expense?

Again, thank you for the help!

John
  • Alexander Negrash
    Using the New Format, I would set up incremental backups (daily) and then a full backup at a specified interval (Default is monthly). What is a reasonable interval for a full backup and a, Keep Backup For, time period without enabling GFS?John Reveley
    Check this thread to better understand how schedule and retention work in the New Backup Format (NBF).

To help answer this, a full backup uses just slightly more than half of the storage space for one of my local backups and about 1/4 of the storage space on the other local backup (I utilize two local backups plus one cloud backup).John Reveley
    Local backups with NBF require storing at least 2 full backups. Ensure your storage capacity can accommodate this.

The cloud backup (I use Google Cloud Platform) is done using legacy mode because I set it up many years ago before the new backup format was available. Can this be changed over without rewriting the whole backup which would take a long time to upload and additional expense?John Reveley
    We have a PowerShell script for converting legacy backup plans to the new format. Let me know if you'd like more details.
  • John Reveley
    For now, I will take care of the local backups. Then I will look at my cloud backup and decide whether I want to convert it to the New Backup Format. Thank you!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment