• James Wilmoth
    I have the MSP portal setup and a few backup plans configured for clients. One client has a cap set at 25GB. They wanted to add some more folders to the selection list. The backup failed due to cap. I need to know how big the selection list is (without going folder by folder and file by file on the OS to try and sum it all up) so I can roughly know how much to increase the cap. If there a place already where I can click a button and see a total size of folders and files selected for backup, I need to know where this is, please. If there isn't a button or way to review the size of selection list, I really need this feature added. Mozy (the platform we are migrating away from) had this easily visible on client software. It would calculate exactly how much data is selected for backup so I could easily know with some basic math (such as 3x) how much space to provision to the client.
  • David Gugick
    From the agent, you can:
    * Click on the Tools menu option
    * Select Disk Capacity (this may require a restart of the agent)
    * Drill into the disks / folders and you should see the # of files and total size

See if this helps. As this is only the raw file sizes, the total on disk can be very different because of compression, retention settings, block-level backups, etc, but it may help you estimate.

To see the amount of storage used, you can:
    * Select the Backup Storage tab
    * Click on the Manage menu option
    * Select the Capacity view
  • James Wilmoth
    Hey David, thanks for the response. The thing is, I can easily drill down into each folder, one at a time, using Windows Explorer too. But that is a hassle. Since CB is already aware of my selection list, there should be an easy tab or page or button for the software to do this work for me. It should tally up the current size of the selection list without requiring that I do any drilling down in, backing out, drilling down into another, backing out, all while recording said details in a spreadsheet to come up with a sum value. This is basic selection list meta data, aka total selection list size.
  • James Wilmoth
    This needs to be HIGHEST priority. Case and point, I have a client that is assigned 25GB of cloud storage. Yet, they wanted to add some more folders AND some UNC paths to the selection list. Additionally, the UNC Paths include Exemptions, i.e. things NOT to backup. Obviously they are hitting the cap. So I need to answer a simple question--"How much more cloud storage do they need?" I started to use Windows Explorer > right click > Properties on each folder in the selection list and Calculator to manually tally up the total size of selection list. But then I got to the UNC paths, which I could also do this way EXCEPT for the fact the include dozens of Exemptions! So I would have to ADD first and then SUBTRACT all the Exempted folders and files. This is a NIGHTMARE. This needs to be resolved ASAP. I'm not asking for a beautiful "selection list analysis tool" that looks like TreeSize or WinDirStat. I am asking for a simple value SOMEWHERE on the mspbackups.com site, such as depicted below.

Example 1
    -5RbsX

Example 2
    r9md4S

Example 3
    CSkY4z
    Attachments
    chrome_2018-08-10_09-33-13 (29K)
    chrome_2018-08-10_09-31-43 (23K)
    chrome_2018-08-10_09-28-51 (222K)
  • James Wilmoth
    Ok, so I have bought some time on this... I created a Powershell script to read in two files: (1) a selectionlist.txt and (2) exemptionlist.txt . I was able to use the MSP > Plan Name > Backup Source boxes to feed into my two files. Then I ran my PS script which calculates the Include Paths and subtracts the Exclude Paths and gives me a sum total of space used by selection list.

Figure 1
    3hpC03

I have attached the script in case anyone else needs this.
    Attachments
    ScreenConnect.WindowsClient_2018-08-10_09-56-32 (21K)
    calculateSelectionList.ps1 (1K)
  • Anton Zorin
    Thank you for the feedback James!
    This is something we have on mid-term roadmap. Can't promise any time frame for the update but I will defenitely try to prioritize this task.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment