• Gary Kuzkin
    I'm setting up CloudBerry for the very first time. I have an existing Amazon Glacier account the was previously used with a Synology drive. During setup, I am entering the Display Name (which I've made up), and an Access Key and Secret Key that I recently obtained from my AWS account. I am having trouble with the "bucket" entry. I am clicking on the + symbol, selecting my region (US East, N. Virginia - which is where the account is), and then entering the name of a container that I've created. When I click OK, I get "The specified bucket is not valid." I've tried other names, but the problem remains. Can anyone help?
  • Matt
    For Mac/Linux versions of the software Glacier backups are performed via lifecycle policy, as specified here: https://www.msp360.com/resources/blog/introducing-backup-for-mac-linux-2-8-1/

As for the bucket name, it must be universally unique and contain only lowercase letters.
    More info on that here: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/awscloudtrail/latest/userguide/cloudtrail-s3-bucket-naming-requirements.html
  • Gary Kuzkin
    The naming was definitely a problem. I was using caps in my naming, so I had to change that. I was also using a name that might have been used by others, so I changed the name to something that was unique to me. That seems to have fixed the naming issues.

Next, however, I had a problem with location. I created a place using the Glacier Console, and the place seems to be set, by Amazon, to US East - Northern Virginia (this is in gray - it's shown but I cannot change it). If I use this in CloudBerry I get another error stating that US West Coast was expected. I decided to try that location, along with the "vault" name that I created, and it was accepted.

Is this something to do with the Cloudberry system?

gary
  • Matt
    Since Glacier archive is performed via S3 lifecycle policy you need to specify your S3 bucket and not Glacier Vault, so perhaps you tried to specify your vault at first instead of the bucket. Perhaps your previously created bucket was created in a different region.
  • Gary Kuzkin
    I accessed my Amazon account today, and found a backup that was made on S3, and was made on the west coast. This is not what I want, but it does explain things a bit. I deleted this bucket (and I see, now, that the CloudBerry name of "bucket" now aligns with Amazon). It's not clear, to me, how one gets Glacier instead of S3. I am checking the "Glacier" box in CloudBerry. I was thinking that this would result in a Glacier vault. Instead I'm getting S3. Clearly I'm missing something. Is there a guide or reference I ought to be reading?

gary
  • Gary Kuzkin
    I just read the first article you linked, somehow I'd missed it and read only the second. The first article answers most of my questions. Sorry for not paying attention ....
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment