• Sephira
    What happens if in the advanced rebranding options I do not check "Show Standard-IA option in the console" but I do check "Use Standard-IA by default"?

Will Standard-IA be used with no option for the user to stop this or will it not work at all?

Many Thanks.
  • David Gugick
    Correct. The Amazon S3 drop-down with Standard and Standard-IA is hidden in the Backup Wizard and the backups would go directly into the S3 Standard-IA storage class. If you show the S3-IA option, then the drop-down is visible and Standard-IA is selected by default if the Use Standard-IA by default option is also selected. Can I ask about your particular use case for S3-IA?

Just want to add that S3 Standard-IA has a slightly different cost structure from S3-Standard. You can read about the differences here: https://aws.amazon.com/s3/storage-classes/
  • Sephira
    Excellent thanks for the reply.

It seems that Standard-IA would be the best option for your average backup solution no?
  • David Gugick
    Standard-IA has a 30 day retention period and additional data egress charges. It has has minimum file sizes as described in the article. If you decide to use IA as the default target storage class, then make sure you can to leave every version of every file up for 30 days (you can delete early, but are charged as though the file were there for 30 days), and also ensure you don’t have a lot of really small files. Also best if you do not plan a lot of restores from IA.
  • Sephira
    Good advice indeed - many thanks!
  • Asikm
    Did you find a solution?
  • Matt
    There was no particular problem here, so I'm not sure what you mean. Sephira just needed some clarification on the options in the software. Let me know if you need some additional guidance on the topic.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment