• P72endragon
    I could do with some help on the retention policy settings please...

Basically, I'd like to keep all versions of a file less than a month old. If there have been no changes, then I need to keep the latest (current) version of the file, regardless of how old it is. I think I'm OK with the settings for that, do I just need to set "delete versions older than 1 month from backup date" and "always keep the latest version" ?

If I did want to only keep a specific number of versions, I believe I'd set "keep number of versions for each file" - but how does that interact with the age setting? If a file changed regularly and hit the number limit before the age limit, would the earlier versions be removed to keep the version count down? Conversely, if the file didn't change very often, would versions older than the age limit be removed even if that meant being below the "number of versions to keep"?

When a file has been deleted from the system, I need to keep it in the backup storage for a month. I think this is "delay purge" and "delete files that have been deleted locally" settings, but I've never managed to understand what they mean and how to use them. Can anyone help me with these? The other thing that confuses me about them is when I'm configuring a hybrid backup with a NAS for local storage and an Amazon Glacier account for Cloud storage, the retention policy page doesn't have a "delete files that have been deleted locally" setting, only the "delay purge" (doing a local storage only, I get both options)

Please can anyone help me understand these settings and offer any advice on how to configure it for my requirements?

Thanks,
  • Matt

do I just need to set "delete versions older than 1 month from backup date" and "always keep the latest version" ?P72endragon
    Yes, that should work fine for the setup you mentioned.

If I did want to only keep a specific number of versions, I believe I'd set "keep number of versions for each file" - but how does that interact with the age setting? If a file changed regularly and hit the number limit before the age limit, would the earlier versions be removed to keep the version count down? Conversely, if the file didn't change very often, would versions older than the age limit be removed even if that meant being below the "number of versions to keep"?P72endragon
    That is absolutely correct, the retention doesn't have some "main parameter", these options work in conjunction with each other.

When a file has been deleted from the system, I need to keep it in the backup storage for a month. I think this is "delay purge" and "delete files that have been deleted locally" settings, but I've never managed to understand what they mean and how to use them. Can anyone help me with these?P72endragon
    Well, this option does what it is actually written in the description. When you delete a file, the software will check its existence in source and trigger a month-long countdown, there will also be a note that some files will be deleted in X days. After that time the files will be deleted from storage side.

The other thing that confuses me about them is when I'm configuring a hybrid backup with a NAS for local storage and an Amazon Glacier account for Cloud storage, the retention policy page doesn't have a "delete files that have been deleted locally" setting, only the "delay purge" (doing a local storage only, I get both options)P72endragon
    This option is not yet available for hybrid backups, we'll introduce it later, it's already in the works.

So, to achieve your desired results I'd configure retention like on the screenshot below
    x8gw9pl73cls46ni.png

That should be enough. Let me know if I missed anything.
  • P72endragon
    Thanks, that's very useful.

Would you mind explaining what the "Delay purge for xxx" setting does?

If I started a hybrid backup now with those settings and then set the "delete files that have been deleted locally" at whatever point in the future it becomes available, would it still take full effect?
  • Matt
    Well, this option does what the tool tip says, files get deleted on storage side after X days after they were deleted on source.

Once this option is introduced for hybrid plans you'll be able to enable it for the plan and it'll be in effect immediately..
  • P72endragon
    I don't seem to have any tool tips, but never mind. I'm sorry if I'm being stupid, but I'm missing something here, I'm afraid I still don't understand. To be clear, I was asking what the "Delay purge" setting does, and you said:
    files get deleted on storage side after X days after they were deleted on sourceMatt
    But isn't that what the "Delete files that have been deleted locally" setting is for?
  • David Gugick
    Delay Purge delays the removal of files from backup storage related to file backups being removed as a result of retention settings.
  • P72endragon
    If anyone else is struggling with this, I've since found this article gives a good explanation: Tips from Steve: Delay Purge – What Is It and Should I Use It?.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet