• Fernando
    Hi, folks! I am a complete newbie to both AWS Glacier and to Cloudberry.

Facts:

I intend using Glacier to put about 45 thousand photographs taken in about 35 different countries, totalling approximately 180GB. Glacier is the the 4th or 5th back up of those photos (they are precious to me!) and the idea is that I will, hopefully, never have to download them again. I just want the peace of mind of knowing that if, worst came to worse, I have them stored in Glacier.

I have a pretty good upload speed (about 25 Mbps - fiber). and have uploaded practically all photos to a vault in glacier in my account called, guess what? Photos! So far so good.

Problem is that I kept trying to improve experience as I went along uploading the photos. This is what I am doing with the latest sets of photos by country.

First of all, I create a .rar file with all the photos of say Russia. Then I go to Cloudberry and create a new backup plan which is called

Russia on 4/17/2018 8:21:30 PM

and now I upload the rar file named Russia.rar to that Backup plan.

This procedure is what I intend to adopt for all of the photographs, in such a way that I will end up having 35 different backup plans each of them with the name of a country.

QUESTION NUMBER ONE:

I did not know I could give a backup plan to the first four or five plans and I now have some meaningless backupplans called:

Backup plan on 4/17/2018 8:21:20 AM
    Backup plan on 4/15/2018 11:41:24 PM

and so on:

Can I rename those back up plans, or do I have to delete them and re-upload. If yes, how can I rename those plans

QUESTION NUMBER TWO:

How can I delete some of those backup plans and simultaneously have them deleted in AWS Glacier?

Thanks for the time being and sorry for the stupid questions.
  • sergeyv
    Hi Fernando,

1) Unless you are using Archive Mode, you can rename backup plans, and you won't have to reupload. To rename, click Edit and pass through the wizard, changing just plan name.
    2) To delete files in Glacier, you go to Backup Storage. But, unless you are using Archive Mode, Backup Storage is not connected with backup plans anyway. So, the short answer is "no way".
  • Fernando
    Thank you Sergeyv for the help. Much appreciated.

Can I delete vaults, WITHOUT EMPTYING THEM?

If this is possible, I could create a NEW vault and upload the new .rar file to that new vault and then delete the OLD VAULT.

If I am not mistaken, I can create up to 1000 different vaults, so that would not be a limitation..
  • Sergey
    As per AWS documentation:
    "You can delete an Amazon Glacier vault only if there are no archives in the vault as of the last inventory that Amazon Glacier computed and there have been no writes to the vault since the last inventory."
    taken from:
    https://docs.aws.amazon.com/amazonglacier/latest/dev/getting-started-delete-vault.html
  • Fernando
    Thanks, Sergey (I presume you are NOT Sergeyv, am I right?)

I am kind of stupid and slow, so please bear with me and correct my reasoning, because it most certainly has a flaw in it:

a) As per Sergeyv, there is "no way" to delete a file (archive) once it is stored in Glacier;

b) As per Sergey and the AWS documentation "You can delete an Amazon Glacier vault only if there are no archives in the vault..."

Conclusion:

Since there is "no way" to delete my files inside the vault and since it is impossible to delete the vault without my first deleting the files inside that vault, I am, therefore, stuck with Amazon and the undeletable files and vaults "per omnia secula seculorum".

Is this right? Am I missing something?

I does not seem reasonable that one should not be able to delete files (archives), so that one can finally be able to delete the vault.
  • Sergey
    Yes, you are right he is a dev, I'm from support.
    What sergeyv was saying is that you cannot delete a plan and by deleting the plan - simultaneously delete the data in cloud.
    So you can remove a plan (on the Backup Plans tab) and you can delete the data (for example from the Backup Storage tab). But these are separate actions.
    Hope this makes more sense :)
  • Fernando
    Hi, Sergey! Thank you very much for your attention.

I now realize that I can edit, rename, even delete any or all the backup plans that nothing will happen with my data stored in Glacier.

The problem is that I still do not know how to delete any file, folder or archive in Glacier.

I saw a few scripts (I transcribe one below which was taken from aws tutorials) which supposedly let you delete the files, but quite honestly I have no idea how to use them.

All I want is to be able to DELETE files, folders, archies which have been uploaded to Glacier.

Would you know how to do that?

Fastglacier let's me do that, but I would prefer using Cloudberry.

Thanks again for your attention.

QUOTE FOR THE SCRIPT

using System;
    using Amazon.Glacier;
    using Amazon.Glacier.Transfer;
    using Amazon.Runtime;

namespace glacier.amazon.com.docsamples
    {
    class ArchiveDeleteHighLevel_GettingStarted
    {
    static string vaultName = "examplevault";
    static string archiveId = "*** Provide archive ID ***";

public static void Main(string[] args)
    {
    try
    {
    var manager = new ArchiveTransferManager(Amazon.RegionEndpoint.USWest2);
    manager.DeleteArchive(vaultName, archiveId);
    }
    catch (AmazonGlacierException e) { Console.WriteLine(e.Message); }
    catch (AmazonServiceException e) { Console.WriteLine(e.Message); }
    catch (Exception e) { Console.WriteLine(e.Message); }
    Console.WriteLine("To continue, press Enter");
    Console.ReadKey();
    }
    }
    }

UNQUOTE
  • Sergey
    In the CBBackup you can remove the data you have backed up from the Backup Storage tab, in the client itself. Please check the attached jpg.

If we are speaking some other data, not our backups, you might want to look into our CBExplorer. Just as long as you don't make changes to backup data outside of the backup client you are okay.
    Attachment
    BackupStorageDeletefromGlacier (23K)
  • Leon
    Hi Sergey,
    I realise this posting was from some time ago but I have the same problem and keep getting the following error.. (screen shot attached)
    Can you assist please?
    Thanks
    Leon
    Attachment
    2019-01-16 (1) (83K)
  • Sergey
    Do you see the files there in Glacier outside of the backup client?
    What happens if you try to delete a single file, not a whole folder?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment