• Craig Larsen
    I have been using RA since it was introduced. My last upgrade to version 2.3 seems to limit my address book to 5 computers. Does this mean you plan to start charging for your product. I have almost 20 computers in my address book of friends that I help. A limitation of 5 will most likely mean I will no longer be able to use RA. Why was this done and will the limit be eliminated or is this a way to limit its usefulness? This is very upsetting.
  • Craig Larsen
    To add, I am an amateur radio operator and I manage several unattended computers. The limitation only 5 unattended computers will limit its usefulness for me.
  • Sergey N
    Hello Craig,

Thank you for your feedback, that is correct the Address Book is limited by 5 records, this is a quantity perfectly adapted to help your friends and relatives. We are not changing the basic principle that the Remote Assistant will always stay free. Meanwhile, we have launched a new product Managed Remote assistant which is currently in the free BETA test phase and perhaps you might want to try it. To do so, simply register here:

https://connect.mspbackups.com

Thank you.
  • Craig Larsen
    Limiting the Address Book to 5 records is a poor choice in my opinion. 20 may have been a reasonable number but not 5. This is a serious degradation of the usefulness of the program. I see that I can manually enter the encryption key for connections not contained the in the address book, but the decision to limit to 5 entries in the address book was a poor decision.
  • Craig Larsen
    I tried to sign up for Managed Remote assistant but was refused because I am not a business.
  • David Gugick
    Just use your name for the company and you should be fine.
  • Craig Larsen
    Nope, says "Remote Assistant is designed for business customers only. Personal emails are not allowed for signup".
  • Craig Larsen
    I assume, since this product is intended for business, that there will be a charge or subscription charge at some point?
  • David Gugick
    Yes, that's the plan. In the interim, can you let me know for the free version what number of supported address book entries you think would be appropriate for your use? There is always the possibility that the Max of 5 will be increased and hearing from the freeware users about their needs will help us dial-in the correct settings going forward. Thanks.
  • Craig Larsen
    The previous version was "unlimited" I believe. It would be nice if that were the case as then there would be no issue at all. However, if a limit MUST be chosen, for me, it would be 20. 10 at the very least. Even though I do not have a business and do this for my own hobby, I have more than 10 in my list as I manage many remote unattended computers (none of them used for business). If I had to choose a absolute minimum where I could use the program satisfactorily, it would be 10. I have started a database to contain the computer ID and encryption files so I can manually insert them if necessary. This was not needed when the directory was unlimited. I understand you are providing this program free of charge which I really appreciate. However, this limitation has me confused. Thank you for your help.
  • David Gugick
    I'll let the team know your thoughts and concerns. Thanks.
  • JBO
    How to add computers in that Managed Remote Assistant?
  • OSCAR
    My new upgrade to version 2.3 looks to limit my address book to 5 PCs. Does this mean you plan to start charging for your product. I have 20 computers in the address book of my friends that I help. I can have research paper writing help for now. A limit of 5 will most likely mean that I will not be able to use RA. Why is this being done and will the amount be removed or is this a way to limit its usefulness?
  • oliviall
    Thank you for such valuable information, it was very informative and helpful. I will try to do so!
  • brucezubaa
    The previous version was "unlimited" I believe. It would be nice if that were the case as then there would be no issue at all.
  • sierrasung
    Thanks for the important information.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube