• Jerry
    Can anyone here help with this?

I am trying to test a bare metal restore from my CBB for Windows image backup. I am trying to restore it to a hyper-v VM, but I get the following error: "Failed to convert the virtual disk. The system failed to convert "F:\MyVMDrive|MyVMDrive.vhdx". I am new to VM's so I am probably missing something.

Here are the steps I've followed:
    1. In CBB for Windows (current version) I created an image backup with "Backup only system required partitions" selected. When I browse the backed up files it looks correct to me.
    2. I restored the backup to a vhdx drive in a folder on my PC.
    3. On my PC (Windows 10 Pro ) I attempted to use "Hyper-V Quick Create" to create a VM using the vhdx in step 2.
    4. After processing 20 minutes or so, I get the error that it failed to convert the vhdx.

I am grateful for any ideas on where I may have erred.
  • Jerry
    @David Gugick, I followed the instructions in the blog post for creating a vhdx. The only difference is Windows 10 Hyper V Quick Create doesn't now give an option for generation 1 or generation 2. I assume that has changed since the blog article was written in 2005. At any rate, I ran Hyper V Quick Create twice again and it failed at about the 25% completion mark. Is there a way to test the integrity of the vhdx?

In the meantime, I plan to do another CBB restore, with vhd instead of vhdx and see if that makes any difference.
  • David Gugick
    I think Support will need to see the logs. Please open a Support case from the Tools - Diagnostic toolbar option and mention this post in the submission. If I dig anything else up, I'll reply here.
  • Jerry
    Will do. The vhd version just failed at 33% complete.
  • Jerry
    @David Gugick, Support got up with me quickly with exactly what I needed. In case others run into the same problem, here is what I did differently: Instead of using the Hyper-V Quick Create, I used the Hyper-V Manager to create the VM, and THEN connected to the vhd. I am now confident I can depend on CBB for a bare metal restore should I ever need it.
  • David Gugick
    Thanks for the update!
  • Karson
    I expect that has modified because the weblog article was once written in 2005. At any rate, I ran Hyper V Quick Create twice once more and it failed at about the 25% completion mark. Is there a way to take a look at the integrity of the vhd
  • BackupFan
    We too would like to test bare metal restore using Hyper-V on PC.

It looks like this blog was has a lot of helpful information in it on this topic:
    https://www.msp360.com/resources/blog/how-to-perform-physical-to-virtual-restores/

Is anyone using this feature actively or testing it on a regular basis to weigh in on how reliable it is? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions that they could share which are not found in the blog article?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment