• Michael A Pietrzak
    Explain something to me, I have my backups going to Azure blob container and I have the retention set to 15 days from backup date. Why are my backup files not purging after 15 days in storage? They are going back months.

To me, if I backup up a file on 1\1 and set it to have a retention time of 15 days, it should be gone on 1\17. That does not appear to be happening.
  • David Gugick
    Is need to see all your retention settings to help. Some settings can affect others.
  • Michael A Pietrzak
    Really retention settings are dumb with your product because with all backups being incremental, I will need to keep stacking and stacking and stacking my backups because I may need to go back a year to recover a file that maybe hasn't changed in a year.
  • David Gugick
    You don’t need to stack, as stated. Why don’t you post a screenshot of your retention settings and also describe what you want to keep and we’ll see if we can set things up right.
  • Michael A Pietrzak
    I dunno, one would think that if you set a retention policy for 15 days from backup date...the files would purge after the 15th day. I guess that's not the case bPVF6Ry.jpg
  • David Gugick
    I think it's keeping the last version for you so you have at least 1 backup copy to restore. My guess is if you edit one of those files and run another backup, the version older than 15 days will be deleted. But I'll check with the team to see if that's what's happening underneath.

What are you hoping to retain? Do you want all backups older than 15 days deleted even if there is only one backup version saved?
  • Michael A Pietrzak
    For almost all of our servers, we have non-SQL databases that create daily backups and deposit them into a directory. I then backup that directory with CB. I do not need to keep five months worth of backups (which is what I have now) because a new file is made daily. Since the database is making a full backup nightly, I only need to keep maybe three backups at most. There are no circumstances where I will need to go back weeks or months.

But it looks like your product cannot work for me the way I want it to. I want the entire directory backed up nightly (all files) and keep only three of those backup jobs. Why is this so hard to do with your product?
  • Michael A Pietrzak
    And the fact that you need to check with your team is a sad testament to the horrible support cloudberry gives. Documentation on your site does not match your product. Support does not even know the product. No mention of new versions coming in v7. I still have a problem from six months ago that was never resolved.
  • David Gugick

Do this instead: Change the Retention to use the Modification Date instead of the Backup Date. Then you can Uncheck the "Always keep the last version" option. Then backups will be kept for only 15 days from the modification date and then removed. I think that's what you want.

What is your old open ticket?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet