• Roger Averdahl
    I am using an Backblaze B2 account and noticed a couple of days ago that there is no tickbox in CBB for "Encrypt filenames" when doing a backup directly to Backblaze of when doing Hybrid backups, iow local and then to Backblaze.

Is there a reason behind this? Are the file names created by CBB simply too long?

I did a test on a local backup with "Encrypt filenames" enabled and wanted to see if i can restore the backup if i simply move all backupfiles to another drive. I could not test it full since Windows Explorer complained about not being able to move some files because they are too long. That made me think that the length of the file names could be the issue during upload/storage/etc. (Yes, it´s a long shot...)

Second question:
    When using the "Encrypt filenames" feature, is there a way to reduce the length of the file names?

CBB: 6.3.2.205
    Win 10 Pro for Workstations: V. 2004, OS Build. 19041.388
  • David Gugick
    It's simply a current limitation in the product. It is scheduled to be released in a future version. I'm checking with the team now to see if it's officially scheduled yet.
  • Roger Averdahl
    O.k, got it! :)

It would be great if it was an aviable feature for Hybrid backups and it would be great to have the ability to have some control over the length of the file names since Windows Explorer complains when moving them.

I do realize that moving the backup files is not recommended, but if the disk shows sign of "soon-to-be-dead" it is importand to being able to move the backup from HDD X to HDD Y without any error messages/limitations from Windows Explorer such as this:
    dest-path.png
  • David Gugick
    I am not sure why the names are so long. I will log your request and ask the team. Thanks.
  • David Gugick
    Let me add that the Windows maximum file name length is 32,767 characters. You can easily enable long filename support with a registry or group policy edit. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file

But I want to confirm with the team this is fully-supported for backups, so stay tuned.
  • Roger Averdahl
    After some testing it seems that this is a bug in Windows Explorer. If i copy the files with Windows Explorer i get tons of those errors but if i use another file explorer, Directory Opus, i can move the files and all files move and match each other and i get no errors from Directory Opus.

Both HDD´s are NTFS formatted.
  • DKK
    I am curious where you are seeing this encrypt filenames option? I am testing on debian, standalone and would like to encrypt the filenames prior to sending to the S3 bucket. The encryption does work fine just the filenames are plaintext.
  • Roger Averdahl
    If i understand you correct this is the same issue i have as well, iow that there is no way to encrypt filenames when doing a Hybrid backup. I cannot enable encrypt file names when sending them to Backblaze.

I have to work around it:
    First do the local backup with encrypted file names and then in another backup job upload the first backup to the cloud. Too many manual steps, too much risk for failure the day one need to restore.
  • David Gugick
    Filename encryption is not available at this time for Linux. We are working on some internal changes for the products that will negate the need for filename encryption, as filenames will not be used in backup storage. I do not have a date yet on these changes, but we'll report to the forum when they are available.
  • David Gugick
    Same answer as that for DKK. The requirement for supporting filename encryption for hybrid backups was put on hold pending the future product changes that negate its need. But I'll inquire with the engineering team on options.
  • DKK

Thank you for the clarification!
  • David Gugick
    Roger, you might be better off running two separate backups: One to local and one to the cloud if you find that the backup and copy method is too prone to error. Managing a backup of a backup might make it more troublesome to restore from the cloud.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment