• Joe Vining
    Fresh install of Ubuntu 20.10 and the latest MSP360 client (3.1.3.17) and I can select from everything except my local drive. I can see the efi and grub partitions, all my mounts, and iSCSI targets, but my regular local files don't even show in the list of selections. The only thing I did differently with this installation compared to my previous Ubuntu install was selecting ZFS for the file system. I don't know why that would have anything to do with it, but that's the only thing I can think of that's different.
  • David Gugick
    ZFS is not supported. Ext 2/3/4 are supported and so is BtrFS, I will add your comment to the open feature for ZFS.

Can I ask what drove you to chose ZFS over something like EXT4?
  • Joe Vining
    I chose it because of its general superiority over other file systems and since I've had no problem choosing file selections from my NFS and SMB mounts located on my TrueNAS server which also uses ZFS, I thought it wouldn't be a problem. Is this something that will be supported in the future? It's becoming more prevalent now that it's in the kernel.
  • David Gugick
    With network shares, you're not using the file system directly - you're likely using NFS. You can expose the local files as an NFS share if you want. You do lose some low-level functionality with network shares as opposed to direct file-system access (VSS on Windows, Block-Level Backups on Windows / Linux to name a couple). But doing so should allow you to back up these local files.

ZFS support has not been scheduled (and in all honesty, the requirement has been open for some time). We are not yet seeing much (if any) ZFS use with our Linux customers. I have added your comments and desire for ZFS support to the thread. If I hear anything from the team, I'll reply here.
  • Joe Vining
    Great, thanks. For now, I'll just set up an RSync to copy my local files to the TrueNAS box and then back them up via the share. Kind of round-about, but it's better than wiping my system and rebuilding to change to EXT4.
  • David Gugick
    Thanks for the update. Your other option which I think will work, is to expose the local folders as a share and then you can back up without the need to copy the files to the NAS. But whichever process is easier for you...
  • Joe Vining
    eh, more backups are better, anyway.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube