• Joe Stanton
    I run Windows XP in a VM. This VM is my primary development machine for legacy applications. I treat like a true PC and the host PC is almost irrelevant.

So, today I purchased this software license on very strong recommendations, and downloaded/installed it. It does not work. I get errors like "The calling thread cannot access this object because a different thread owns it."

Nowhere in the purchase or download or install process did it check for or warn if Windows XP was not going to work. Reading a few posts I see people with similar or related issues make statements about XP no longer being supported. I would appreciate a reply from MSP360 or if experts on htis forum know of a workaround.

My goal is to backup continuously to my S3 bucket. I could write code to do my own S3 backup (and have before), but prefer a robust supported product.
  • David Gugick
    Windows XP is no longer supported. The only reference to that error message I see in this system was from 4 years ago, and it was an issue that was fixed in the 5.6 release. Since I assume you're using the latest 7.0, it could be that the latest version simply will not run on Windows XP. We do not test that operating system any longer.

Depending on how you are running the VM, and whether or not you are running it from another more recent copy of Windows, or Windows Server, then the other option would be to expose the data in the VM that you want to back up as a share and back it up from the main operating system on the host or another computer on the network that can see the share. If however you're backing up from VMware or Hyper-V then I think the only other option would be to back up that VM using our virtual backup product, but that only backs up at the virtual machine level, not at the file level.

If you want to provide more details about your particular use case, we may be able to come up with a different solution.
  • Joe Stanton
    Thanks for the suggestion of the shared folder, it actually makes sense and will work. Whiny karen complaint is that the installer should have checked Windows version and cautioned, etc. but thanks.
  • Joe Stanton
    I have been having a few ongoing challenges with a couple issues. First, although solved, by using a "net stop" for the "Cloudberry Backup Service" in my batch file that puts my PC to sleep, is that the check box that I unchecked about "prevent sleep if plan running" (or words to that effect) does not work or real-time plans. If the service is running the system will not sleep when running a real-time plan.

The second and more important issue I am facing is that the Y: and Z: drives which are how I am sharing the VMDK files from the virtual machine I am interested in backing up, apparently do not backup. The plan backs up some of my host C: drive and selected folder on the Y: and Z: shares.

I should say that I stopped the plan while it was backing up a rather large folder and modified the plan to NOT backup that folder, and now it seems to not do anything past that former point in the list of folders, I hope my explanation is clear.

Next, I am watching the real-time plan using the UI, and I made a change to a file on the C: drive and it did not immediately pickup and backup that file, instead the plan sits there and with "Current status: Instant Backup started in X:XX minute(s)". I cannot even find a help topic on what an instant backup is or why I would want one when I want a real-time monitoring solution.
  • Joe Stanton
    I decided to just delete the old plan and add a new one. So far that seems to be running as expected, I am just curious if you can shed light on why perhaps my action of stopping the service sort of created a block in properly starting up again.
  • Joe Stanton
    Unfortunately this mapped drive option is not working as you had suggested, David. I ahev written another post as I am feeling that the real-time monitor of the mapped drives is not working, as it is refusing to back them up. Note the drives are mapped read only.

https://forum.msp360.com/discussion/comment/7379
  • David Gugick
    Don’t use real-time. Instead run it on some pre-defined schedule.
  • Joe Stanton
    Real time support was exactly the reason I purchased this product. I can write scheduled backups in my sleep using either old fashioned DOS batch files or S3Express or my old stand by Second Copy. I was looking for a quantum leap forward. How do I get my money back then if Real Time does not work as advertised?
  • David Gugick
    Real-time works as advertised. But you're using a network share and there's no way to hook into the share like local disk to have the OS monitor for changes. You can reach out to sales to discuss a refund if you're not satisfied. Look for links on the web site.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment