• Lindsey
    I have an unattended computer set up with CloudBerry Remote Assistant v 2.3.0.52 currently accessed fine using the remote encryption key. I have now received a notice that this will stop working on Aug 15th unless it is upgraded to at least v2.4.
    The menu on the remote machine does not have a "check for updates" option although this is available on my laptop.

How can I successfully update the remote computer to the current version and re-establish the connection with it afterwards with no one able to access the computer in real life?
  • Lindsey
    In case it helps anyone else ...

I first tried on a local machine so I could see what was involved. The new update package first gave an option "Another Version of Remote Desktop is running. Close Remote Desktop before install?". With options of Yes, No and Cancel. I chose No in the hope that it would let me install the two versions side by side temporarily but that just got me another window with "Close Remote Desktop to continue" with Retry & Cancel options.
    Selecting Yes closed my current remote session and then presented a normal installer, which required being able to click "next" a few times using the local mouse. Once completed, the remote client restarted fine and I was able to reconnect.
    So all it would have needed was a "run automatically/accept all" option on the initial message screen to let me run it completely remotely. That wouldn't cater for all potential problems on the install, but would at least give a chance of successfully updating.

As it is, the only solution I can come up with is to install a different (well-known name) remote access software and use that to remotely run the installer. Or maybe I'll just stick with that in future.
  • Sergey N
    In case it helps anyone else ...

I first tried on a local machine so I could see what was involved. The new update package first gave an option "Another Version of Remote Desktop is running. Close Remote Desktop before install?". With options of Yes, No and Cancel. I chose No in the hope that it would let me install the two versions side by side temporarily but that just got me another window with "Close Remote Desktop to continue" with Retry & Cancel options.
    Selecting Yes closed my current remote session and then presented a normal installer, which required being able to click "next" a few times using the local mouse. Once completed, the remote client restarted fine and I was able to reconnect.
    So all it would have needed was a "run automatically/accept all" option on the initial message screen to let me run it completely remotely. That wouldn't cater for all potential problems on the install, but would at least give a chance of successfully updating.

As it is, the only solution I can come up with is to install a different (well-known name) remote access software and use that to remotely run the installer. Or maybe I'll just stick with that in future.
    Lindsey

Hello Lindsey,

Thank you for sharing your experience, in fact, from version 2.6 you won't have any issues with updating the software as we are adding a reworked update system that allows you to update the software remotely. The other option now to update the application remotely is using the silent installation feature, which you can find in the Command Line section of the Remote Desktop Help.
  • Lindsey
    Thanks Sergey/David. Good to know the option was there.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment