• Mike S
    Under "Delete backed up data only" the computer names are inaccurate based on what the computer is actually named. It seems like these usernames never get updated. Some still have the standard DESKTOP- even though they have been renamed. Any way to fix this/force an update? Perhaps it takes the computer name when the agent is first installed but never updates itself?
  • David Gugick
    When you say renamed, do you mean the backup prefix in the Storage Account setting? That's the setting that drives the root backup folder name.
  • Mike S
    Yep, that is what I am talking about. Is there an easy way to rename the bucket prefixes because computer names change over time and having the prefix be the old computer name gets confusing.
  • David Gugick
    When you change the backup prefix, all subsequent backups should be using that new prefix. Are you seeing both backup prefixes in storage?

You can rename a prefix from a product like our CloudBerry Explorer, but then you'll need to synchronize the repository so the product is now in sync with cloud storage.
  • Mike S

Does renaming under Remote Management > Gear Icon > Edit Account and changing the prefix work? Or do I need to actually login to Wasabi or the explorer to do that?
  • David Gugick
    Do not change the cloud storage until we understand better what you're seeing. Please answer my first question:

When you change the backup prefix, all subsequent backups should be using that new prefix. Are you seeing both backup prefixes in storage?
  • Mike S

I was hoping that going into the gear icon and changing the prefix there would do the same thing. That is what I tried for a test computer. I did start a full backup and it looks like the prefix is different under Backup Storage in the Backup app. Or do I actually have to go into Wasabi or CloudBerry Explorer and rename it there? What does the one under Gear do?
  • David Gugick
    if you change the backup prefix, then all backups will start fresh under that new prefix. Old backups will remain in the old prefix folder name until you manually remove them as they will not be removed through normal retention because of the prefix change. If you rename the prefix folder on the cloud side then you can resynchronize the repository on our side afterwards to sync up the data to continue backups. That assumes you're able to do that on the cloud in question. I don't have any information about how that could be done but you could look to the vendors tools or knowledge base for guidance. But if you've already started backups under the new prefix then I think you're stuck using it and you should just remove the old backups manually when they're no longer needed.
  • Mike S

Sounds right. I got a suggestion

When deleting a computer from Remote Management, is there anyway for a checkbox to be added to also delete that computers data in the backup storage (cloud)? What happened a while back is we had old computers that we deleted but the data was still in the cloud (essentially paying for cloud backup storage on computers that have been replaced..)

We resolved this by going to the users tab, hitting the X button and deleting backed up data only for the computers that were replaced but having to remember to do that every time we offboard a computer might result in some being missed.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment