• Reddit User
    With the death of Crashplan home, I’m using this as an opportunity to transition clients to more of a managed backup solution. I have some questions and I’m hoping you guys can pick apart my use cases for holes I’m missing. I’ve been using CB for server backups at 2 sites (1 with a single Hyper-V host and the other with 1 Hyper-V host, 1 bare metal and 2 sql) for about 2 years and am reasonably happy with it for those sites. However, I’m looking for a sanity check on things.

I’ve looked at Veeam and haven’t been able to get the MSP folks to call me back to get licensing going. I also think the Azure infrastructure costs would be more then CB, but I’m not 100% there as I haven’t actually got a whole Veeam repository setup before.

Questions:

SQL backups - should transaction logs be shrinking after backup automatically or just marking space as free within the transaction logs? Today I checked a server and had 12gb of transactions logs on a few hundred mb database. I had to manually backup and then shrink to get the space back. This was on SQL Express.

If I’m doing a hybrid backup and the local network target is missing, does the cloud backup proceed or also fail? (I’m pretty sure it’s fail)

On Desktops/laptops, If I’m doing a backup of either image or file/folder and the computer is shutdown/sleep/hibernate, what’s the impact on the backup and any files being backed up at that moment? Does it make a difference if this is real-time or scheduled?

Can I do a hybrid image plan scheduled in addition to a file/folder real time plan without them interfering?

Will a file/folder real time plan generate a failure anytime it runs a backup and fails due to no internet? If so, can that be limited for that plan? What happens if a client takes their laptop off-site, boots it up, then connects to a guest network 15-30min later? Do we get a bunch of queued failure emails in that 15-30min period when it finally can hit the internet?

What phone support options are there? I’ve only ever done email and for me to ramp this up, I really need phone support.

Should I be encrypting within CB on each backup?

Is encryption performance impacting during backup/restore operations or pretty minimal on overhead?

Do I need to do more than AES-128 or is that secure enough for non-compliance data?

How good is the granular restore from images of VM’s or bare metal?

Can I script the below (We have Continuum)? Install the client Create the backup plan of file/folder to cloud. Have the backup plan consist of C:\Users*

Can users get a read only view of their backup plans?

Use cases:

Cloud destinations will be to B2. Local destinations will be a USB 3.0 attached to the local server or a QNAP NAS on the network via shared folder.

Desktop/laptop – File/Folder Real Time to cloud of C:\Users (exclude hidden/system) and any data drives on the machine. Secondary plan would be a once a day bare metal backup Hybrid.

Servers (non-virtual) – this would be a Hybrid backup of bare metal as often as at least once a day and possibly more.

Servers (virtual) – Hybrid backup of Hyper-V VM’s and a bare metal of the host. Same schedule as above.

What issues can arise from the above cases that I need to check and solve ahead of time?
  • Denis Gorbachev
    SQL backups - should transaction logs be shrinking after backup automatically or just marking space as free within the transaction logs? Today I checked a server and had 12gb of transactions logs on a few hundred mb database. I had to manually backup and then shrink to get the space back. This was on SQL Express.

CloudBerry uses SQL native tools, so all logs can be truncated automatically after the backup finished.

If I’m doing a hybrid backup and the local network target is missing, does the cloud backup proceed or also fail? (I’m pretty sure it’s fail)

Yes. It will fail. In this case the account won't be defined.

On Desktops/laptops, If I’m doing a backup of either image or file/folder and the computer is shutdown/sleep/hibernate, what’s the impact on the backup and any files being backed up at that moment? Does it make a difference if this is real-time or scheduled?

If the backup job is running - it's unlikely that the PC will be switched to sleep/hibernate state. There is an option "Prevent computer from sleep/shut down while the backup job is running" and it's enabled by default. In other cases, there is an option "run missed backups once the PC is switched on". If it was file-level backup - it will continue from the place where it left. In case it's image based - from the scratch.

Can I do a hybrid image plan scheduled in addition to a file/folder real time plan without them interfering?

Not a good idea

Will a file/folder real time plan generate a failure anytime it runs a backup and fails due to no internet? If so, can that be limited for that plan? What happens if a client takes their laptop off-site, boots it up, then connects to a guest network 15-30min later? Do we get a bunch of queued failure emails in that 15-30min period when it finally can hit the internet?

It just failed and sent you the notification once.

What phone support options are there? I’ve only ever done email and for me to ramp this up, I really need phone support.

There is a phone support. Or you can initiate a screen sharing session. Just ask the support guys for this.

Should I be encrypting within CB on each backup?

You should. There are bunch of encryption methods with CB.

Is encryption performance impacting during backup/restore operations or pretty minimal on overhead?

Not for the regular backup user. And not if the volume of the data is not so huge.

Do I need to do more than AES-128 or is that secure enough for non-compliance data?

AES cypher algorithm is considered as one of the strongest nowadays. You can use the maximum key length - 256 bit. But it's optional and up to you =)

How good is the granular restore from images of VM’s or bare metal?

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Can I script the below (We have Continuum)? Install the client Create the backup plan of file/folder to cloud. Have the backup plan consist of C:\Users*

You can backup Users profiles

Can users get a read only view of their backup plans?

Each user can view only their own backups. Not other.

I don't see any issues with your use case. In case you faced some - let us know! We are always happy to help!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment