• Sam Nottage
    I'm in the process of replacing a workstation and am in need of advice on transferring the license (and data) to the new machine.

My plan is to deactivate the license on the old machine and apply it to the new machine, then restore data (not an image) from the old machine's backups to the new machine.

Is this the right way to go about it? Will I be able to get the backup data from the deactivated machine?
  • Steve Putnam
    Dont worry about the licenses - you will get a trial license - Login to MSP360 using the client's credentials on the new machine, and then create a restore plan.
  • Sam Nottage

Thanks Steve. I couldn't do what you suggested from the client machine (password problem) but I was able to do it through the console by assigning Company and User Account to the new machine.

Regarding the password, clicking "Forgot Password" responds with "Please contact your storage provider". Am I my "storage provider?" What I thought was the User Account password didn't work on the client.

Of course, I could be mistaken about the password I tried to use. Can you tell me about the difference between "Change password" and "Reset password and send instructions?" I'm a little concerned about not being sure about what the password actually is.
  • Alexander Negrash
    The 'Change password' option will change the password to the one you specify. 'Reset password' will sent an email to a user account email with new credentials
  • Sam Nottage
    I've restored data to the new machine and it's time to retire the old backups and license assignment.
    What is the best way to go about this to make sure the backups (cloud and local) are deleted?
  • Alexander Negrash
    If you use the same user account, the best way would be to delete old backups via the Backup Storage tab in the backup agent. If you wish to delete the whole user account or all data under the user account, you can do it in the Management Console on the Organization>Users page. Click the red cross icon and choose one of the suggested options.
  • Sam Nottage

I've used the agent to delete the backups.

In the agent, local storage shows 0 bytes used but the folder still exists on the storage device. I assume I can delete the folder with no ill effects.

Cloud storage (Amazon S3) is showing 34MB still in use for the computer. Will using Remote Management to "delete" the computer clear cloud storage? Should I release the license before doing so?
  • Alexander Negrash

Deleting the computer from Remote Management will release the license but will not delete the backup storage. Where do you see the remaining 34MB?
  • Sam Nottage

It is showing in the Capacity Report on the web console and also in the Agent (Backup Storage).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment