• Tylan
    I deployed a new computer for a user, and had CBB / MBS edition installed on her previous computer. I had a job that backed up desktop / docs / downloads. When I was setting up CBB on the new computer I noticed in the new edition that there are now schedule templates, one of which schedules the the full / incremental block backups. Pretty nice feature.

I have only ever used block level backups relating to image backups. What's the advantage / disadvantage to using block level when it comes to backing up files - just docs / desktop / etc - not the full machine? Is there a preferred method here?
  • Matt
    In most cases block-level backup is not beneficial for file plans. If you have frequently changed files that are dozens of gigabytes in size, then that would be helpful, otherwise it doesn't affect file backups as much as image-based ones.
  • David Gugick
    As matt stated, block-level file backups allow you to back up changes within files. This is helpful when you are working with large files (like an Outlook PST file) and do not want to back up the full file every time. Instead, we can back up the changed blocks within the file. if you have this need, then enable the option and the corresponding schedule to back up the full files as needed. if not, you can disable.
  • Tylan
    Ah yes, PST files... Other big files. I've gotten so used to setting up image based jobs, that I kind of forgot how to do file based. So, no real benefit to going block level for desktop files. I guess it has the potential to give you a few more versions, but no real reason to turn it on if I'm not dealing with large files.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment