• Dennis
    Solution was that I ended up restoring using Windows System Disk and an Image Backup

I had a frustrating day trying to restore a disk using the USB Boot Disk and
    an disk image created with CloudBerry backup.
    I used the original PC, my pc and three differnet USB thumb drives and
    never got a bootable drive that would boot. Fortunately the old drive came back up long
    enough for me to create an image using Windows backup but that was just luck.

I need to know how to create a usable MSP360 USB bootable drive. I pray that I don;t have to restore
    a server as I have absolutly no confidense in this product at all and I'm currently shopping for something else.

Dennis
  • David Gugick
    It's not clear what's causing the boot issue from USB, assuming your BIOS is set to allow USB booting priority. I'll reach out to the support team to see if they have any ideas, but if you have any more specific details you can post, that will go a long way to helping you.

In the meantime, here's a link on creating the USB boot disk: https://help.msp360.com/cloudberry-backup/backup/create-a-recovery-disk-flash-drive

And another on bare metal restore: https://help.msp360.com/cloudberry-backup/restore/bare-metal-recovery

You can also open a support case for more direct help from the support team.

Thanks.
  • Dennis
    I tried creating the USB Boot from three different PCs using multiple 16+GB thumb drives. The Blue windows logo would come up and then a couple of flashes on the screen and then it would reboot. I could boot easily from the Dell System Restore Device and another Device running Windows Restore. The disk with the image i an external 1TB SSD drive.
    I read the instructions several times but I could have missed something so I'll check again. Thanks
  • Boris
    Hello Dennis,
    If the system keeps restarting, please check that the USB is the first boot device in the load order in UEFI and disable secure boot.
  • Dennis
    Thanks Boris. The USB stick is first but after the first re-boot I get an OS not found error. Not sure what the deal is but I need to work something else out. I have 6 Backups that are image based that if I lost any of them I would be unemployed. I'm a one man shop so there's no one else to blame... LOL.
  • Dennis
    Can I purchase a boot USB device?
  • David Gugick
    We don't sell them. What USB stick are you using and size?
  • Dennis
    I've tried 2.
    PNY 32GB
    Staples 16GB
    I tried burning the image from the ISO (RUFUS) with the same results.
  • David Gugick
    How is the USB stick formatted? / File system?
  • Dennis
    FAT32 and I tried NTFS
  • Dennis
    I've downloaded the new version and will try again.
  • David Gugick
    What type of PC are you using?
  • Dennis
    I've tried 3 different ones but all are Dell.
    3070 and two different Vostro laptops. All use SSD drives.
  • Dennis
    Can I send my boot device to y'all for testing?
  • David Gugick
    And you've disabled Secure Boot in the UEFI BIOS?
  • David Gugick
    Also, try this:
    * When the Dell logo appears, tap F12 on the keyboard several times to enter the system setup screen .
    * Select the USB storage device and press Enter
  • Dennis
    I disabled secure boot and did the f12 and selected USB device. The blue windows logo appears for about 30 seconds, a CMD Window opens up for a split second, a screen flash and then reboots. After the reboot all I get is a black screen, I then have to power off the computer and go back into the Boot selector (F12) to turn Secure Boot back on so I can start the PC normally,
  • David Gugick
    At this point, I think you'll need to open a support case. Other than checking your BIOS for any updates, it's possible there's a missing driver specific to the Dell machines. Also, are you backing up the Bitlocker encrypted volumes as is or are you having MSP360 Backup decrypt them during backup? (see the Keep Bitlocker option in the wizard)?
  • Dennis
    No Bitlocker involved on the original PC and the other servers that are currently being imaged are 2012R2 VMs, a couple of older desktops running some custom software and an old fax server (W7).

I put in a ticket yesterday but haven't heard anything back.
  • Dennis
    So I purchased WINToUSB and installed Window 10 Pro onto a USB drive. Booted from the stick, setup Window 10 Pro, installed Online Backup and was able to make it through the restore process up to Finish. I still need to do a complete restore but this looks like it's going to work. I'll purchase W10Pro so I can update to the newest version. MTC
  • David Gugick
    Thanks for the update.
  • Dennis
    I was able to boot from the WINtoUSB (WTU) disk and restore the backup image created with Cloudberry to a new drive. The drive never booted up due Windows Boot Manager issues but I can boot with the WTU disk and see data. I guess that's a partial win, not sure, but I hope I never have to restore a server image using cloudberry. FWIW, I never got a response from the ticket I created last week.
  • David Gugick
    I'll check with the support team.
  • David Gugick
    Dennis. I spoke with Support. They indicated you have opened two tickets and the team has replied. Please check your spam filters / folders and make sure that ticket at cloudberrylab dot com is Whitelisted. Please let me know if you are unable to find the emails.
  • lissacoffee
    I also tried burning from ISO (RUFUS) same results.need to open a support case?
  • David Gugick
    Yes, a support case may be needed.
  • RI IT Support
    I've honestly given up on restoring from the cloudberry bootable ISO. When you need to restore a downed machine you need something reliable and fast. Use a dummy machine running Windows, install Cloudberry and sign into the account associated with the backups you're looking to restore from. Add the backup storage device in "restore only" mode for faster detection of backups if you're using a local storage account as restore source. Then pop in whatever drive you want to restore to and use that as the destination for your restore plan. This gets a bit more complex when restoring host level servers running RAID which contains the Windows OS but can be done.
  • Carlos
    Dear ,

Sometimes I have faced the same problem. As a suggestion, create the USB using the CLI or by the Interface instead of flash the ISO file into a device with Rufus. You may need to know that the secure boot sometimes is a headache so if you can enable the legacy BIOS mode then do it and try booting from the USB device again.

To perform a restoration over a different machine you have to know that it's not a good choice because Windows the most times will crash due to detecting different hardware, so you will need to repair the OS. We usually restore over similar hardware but sometimes this isn't possible, for this reason for each customer we'd create a procedure where we have a machine with similar hardware is prepared for a quick start-up but this isn't possible sometimes because many servers are quite expensive so the cost cannot be assumed by the company. In this case, we restore directly from the backup to a VMware host, and most times this works.

I hope this will help someone who's looking for a solution to this problem in the future.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment