• zefoto
    Hi. I run CBB for Mac and in CBB Preferences, under Network, the "Ignore SSL Certificates" checkbox is checked by default. I would like to know what this preference does. I am backing up to remote Minio server over the internet and I setup my Minio server to run only under HTTPS and I configured my CBB backup destination with "Use SSL" checked under Advanced Settings. I want my backups to be done over SSL.

What is the purpose of the CBB Preferences "Ignore SSL Certificates" default, and does it override the "Use SSL" for backup destination?

Thanks.
  • Julia
    This is a new option in v2.4 that allows you to prevent (get a failure) backups if the SSL certificates on the backup destination are corrupt. The default is to ignore certificates as it is used to be in previous versions.
  • zefoto
    Thank you Julia for the information.

The information at the provided link states that "Suppose you're running a server with self-signed SSL certificates and Minio as your backup destination. To avoid backup failure, CloudBerry Backup disregards the self-signed certificates and proceeds with the backup process. In release 2.4, we've added the option to fail a backup plan if the SSL certificates on the backup destination are corrupt."

I am not sure I understand correctly the way it is written:
    . In 2.4, if the "Ignore SSL certifaces" check box is checked (selected), does CBB ignore SSL certificates ALL THE TIME, i.e., not only when the certificates are corrupt?
    . If CBB ignores the SSL Certificates, does it mean that the communication link between CBB and the remote Minio server IS NOT over SSL, i.e., it is not protected?

Thanks.
  • Julia
    It ignores only invalid and corrupted certificates.
    It seems we should re-write our blog statement to make it clear - thanks for pointing it out!
  • zefoto
    Thanks again Julia. But still, when the SSL certificate is ignored, does it mean that the communication between CBB and remote Minio server (over internet) is not protected via SSL?
  • Julia
    If you selected the “Use SSL” option, your connection is protected via SSL even if you use the “Ignore SSL certificates” option.

The “Ignore SSL certificates” manages whether to check self-signed certificates or ignore that check.

In the next version we are going to set this option as unchecked (i.e. to check certificates) by default for new installations.

Please let me know if you still have questions.
  • zefoto
    Thanks for the clarifications. I am fine now. :-)

Just a suggestion to CB. It would be great if we could have access to a CBB for Mac documentation where this information would be available. I found Help Documentation for CBB but it is for Windows.

Thanks.
  • Julia
    Great! I am happy to hear that :)

Currently we are working hard on re-designing our help and it’s going to be for Mac as well soon.
  • Gleb
    Hi Sylvain, as Julia has mentioned, we are preparing to add a Mac/Linux section to our new Help site. As soon as our tech writers finish the articles, we will publish it.
  • zefoto
    This is good news. Thanks for the update.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment