• mateusdsrs
    Good afternoon, I'm very committed to improving the speed of restoring my backups, in one case I'm taking 20 hours to restore a disk image (no operating system, only files) with 1.3 TB and around 8 million files! The disk that is this backup is iscsi and has a constant speed of 125 MB/s and the server has 96 GB of ram and 18 cores. In fact, it takes about 5 or 6 hours for a full backup to make the backup. But the restoration has a very high return time and I don't know what else to do, I think the restoration time for these files should not be more than 8h.

Information the backup has no compression or encryption to improve the restoration time.

Please I need help.
  • Andi
    To Increase Backup Performance you can try remove unnecessary files using a program such as Disk Cleanup to remove temporary files, empty the Recycle Bin, and to remove other unnecessary items.
    Run fewer programs when the Backup is scheduled to run.
  • James
    Restore speed been an issue for a while now. They keep saying it will improve but it hasn't. I'm in the middle of an image restore project right now and terribly slow. Have a fast server and 1gbps fiber download speed, yet restore is running at 15-20mbps. Then it errors out after 9 hours.

I sure wish MSP360 had got backup and restore actually working before starting up their RMM business. I can't take much more of this.
  • David Gugick
    James, my understanding is that the 7.5 Windows Agent release will include additional restore performance improvements. Is your download speed running at 20 MegaByte or 20 MegaBit per Second?
  • James
    20 megabits per second. Never any faster than that. Restores from NAS drive are okay speed wise but could use some improvement too I think.

One restore I did I had a cloud image restore running. Was going about 15-20 megabits per second. While that was running, I used the Cloudberry S3 browser to download the entire archive from Wasabi to my NAS drive. That download went about 400 megabits per second. I then attached to a different server and ran a restore from the NAS drive. That whole process of downloading the entire archive from Wasabi to NAS, then running restore from NAS finished before the cloud restore job, by a day.
  • David Gugick
    Thanks for the update. 20 Mbit is slow. Was this an image or file backup? And are you using the new backup format or the legacy one?
  • James
    This is restoring an image backup from the new format to a VHDX file.

After a week of trying and multiple jobs failing, a restore I was working on last week finally finished all the way without failing just yesterday. Total restore time was 29.5 hours to restore a 297GB VHDX file. That averages out to about 30mbps. Keep in mind this is on a 1000mbps up/down fiber line and I've seen up to 400mbps download from the S3 browser so it's not an Internet/Wasabi limitation we're dealing with.
  • David Gugick
    I would say that you'll need to wait for the 7.5 agent release for the planned major improvements. In the interim, please continue to work with the Support team as they may be able to provide some options for improving performance over what you are seeing.
  • James
    Any release date? Is beta available?
  • David Gugick
    I don't have a firm release date yet. It should be this quarter. I'll reply back when I know more.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment