• Rebecca
    When I installed and ran the remote desktop software on the computer I want to remotely control, it automatically assigned a computer ID that is 9 characters long, but it is not all numeric: several of the characters are letters--not numbers. When I try to enter that ID into the computer I'm trying to use to access the other, it will not allow the alphabetical characters--it only allows numbers. The computer that would be used to do the controlling has a 9 digit ID (no letters). What has gone wrong, and how do I fix it?
  • David Gugick
    I have not seen that reported. Can you confirm the following:
    • The platform you are running (Windows?)
    • The version of Remote Desktop
    • The default language your OS is set to

Let me also add that when I try to connect to a remote system, the Connect To entry does allow alphabetical characters.
  • Rebecca
    Running Windows 10 Pro, most recent update available on each machine.
    Remote Desktop is most recent version available downloaded today (6/4) on the machine with alphanumeric ID and version 2.4.0.47 on the machine I'm hoping to use to manage the other.
    Regarding the language, everything is set to English (unless you're asking about some type of computer language, in which case, I'm probably not going to be able to answer that.)

On the computer I hope to use to manage the other computer remotely, you cannot anything except digits (even trying to paste something with letters strips out the letter characters and leaves only the numbers.)
  • David Gugick
    The latest version is 2.5.0.83 . Please download and try again.
  • DAve Dunlavy
    Had Remote Desktop running fine on two of my computers. After I changed hard drives on one, I downloaded it and put in my name and email. No confirming email was received, so I clicked I don't have the confirming email. It assigned alpha-numeric address to that computer. Can not enter alpha characters in the other computer. I removed the installation on the alpha computer to register it with a different address. After I reinstalled it comes up with the same alpha characters without me reregistering it. Notice this problem has not had new posts in a month. The version I installed was 2.5.0.83 - on a Win 10 Pro machine in USA English. Is this product still current?
  • David Gugick
    Are you saying when you look at the remote machine, you are seeing an alpha-numeric code instead of a numeric one like this?
    g9vot27h7eqifgwb.png
  • DAve Dunlavy
    Yes. I removed the application to look for some other application. Sorry for the delay. Now I have installed Remote Desktop again and it shows an id alphanumerically, similar to before.
    Computer ID: Y7V 7F4 Y65
    I don't see a place to log-out so I can create a new login.
    Thanks for your help in advance
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet