• Cory Tselikis
    Hello new to msp backups I am trying to deploy these at a customer site and testing before we roll it out completely. I am getting the following errors every time a backup is run at a customer site. Thoughts ?

1000 hybrid paths were not found (code: 1617)
  • David Gugick
    sounds like the computer on which the agent is installed cannot see your file system storage. How do you have it set up?
  • Cory Tselikis
    Ahh I have it as hybrid mode but the local store machine is on another network across a vpn tunnel.
  • David Gugick
    That should be fine as long as the remote computer can see the storage over the VPN. Obviously, if the VPN is not running or the Managed Backup Service Account cannot access the network share, you'd have an issue.

Just to confirm, you are running a Hybrid backup to cloud storage and file system storage. The file system storage is located on a remote PC, accessible via a VPN. Correct?

What account are you using for the backup service? Can that account access the remote share over the VPN?
  • Cory Tselikis
    That local storage machine is a NFS share and correct it is not using a particular account. How would I specify the actual account it needs to remotely store it?
  • David Gugick
    When you define the storage in the administration console, if you enter a share name, then you're prompted to enter the credentials (User Name / Password) needed to access the share.

I would like to add that Hybrid backups work by first backing up data to the file system and then reading the backed up data from the file system and copying it to cloud storage. Normally, this method results in the best performance as it only requires a single read of the source data and file system storage is normally local and high-speed. However, in your case, you are using a VPN over the internet to an NFS share. Re-reading that data may be more time-consuming than running two backups: One to the NFS storage and one to the cloud. You'll have to test performance.
  • Cory Tselikis
    I appreciate the help. I will most likely setup some local storage onsite there to speed up the process. It's the hyper-v side that I am concerned about with restore speeds in the event there is a disaster. This was similar to howw Veeam fuctioned.
  • David Gugick
    Having local storage (NAS / File Server / SAN) will certainly help restore speeds. A low-latency, 10 GbE connection to RAID storage or any fast disk should result in far faster restores than pulling that data from the cloud over the internet. And that's how many of our customers operate. Local storage is used, if available, while cloud is used for restoring data from outside the office or in the case of disaster.
  • Cory Tselikis
    Thanks. I am still getting used to how this backup works. Slowly moving away from Veeam.
  • David Gugick
    Please keep the questions coming if anything else comes up. Better to start a new thread if the topic changes. And you also have access to our Support team, if needed, for more expedited service or if you run into a more complicated issue. But you can always start on the forums.
  • Cory Tselikis
    I guess my next question is where is the credentials stored when creating the store. I can't seem to find how to apply them to the store ?
    0F6VHzX

https://imgur.com/0F6VHzX
  • David Gugick
    You need to use a UNC format: \\server\sharename
  • Cory Tselikis
    So this is a NFS share on a linux machine. those unc paths won't work.
  • David Gugick
    What operating systems are you going to be backing up the NFS share?

I have a call into the support team to verify whether or not you can use an NFS share in this manner. I'll get back to you when I hear back from them.
  • Cory Tselikis
    It was used previously for veeam backups.
  • David Gugick
    Here's the answer.

NFS shares are currently not supported natively. However, In case it is a Linux machine, you can mount the share and add a mount point as a destination (like with any other share, e.g. SMB/AFP). So you can do this, but only in Linux, and only if you mount it first.

Sorry for the confusion. There is a request in the system to support NFS shares. No ETA at their time.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment